On 2/25/07, auliuniv <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If they were interested in learning it, one would assume they would practice it since such a list
> is meant for that. But, they don't participate.

Maybe they are not necessarily interested in *actively* learning it.
Each person has a different interest when subscribing to a list.

There are lists such as Bablo and posta_Mundi that accept
communication in various auxlangs. Some people participate, but it is
rare to find some participant who actively masters all the "big three"
languages. And I believe most participants are not interested in
actively mastering all of them. I see no problem in that, it is just a
personal choice.

I remember that Dana previously said that there are some people
subscribed to his Sasxsek list, and none of them writes messages in
Sasxsek. He can tell better how it works.

The Orkut community "Eu sou contra o preconceito" has almost 1.300.000
members, but less than 100 post comments often. The Orkut community
"Dr.  quem tem Doutorado" has more than 96.000 members, but only 20
participants post comments often.

I think it is the nature of web forums and discussion lists that most
people just lurk.

> > I am subscribed to at least four Interlingua lists because I am
> > interested in the subject of each list, not because I want to
> > inflate
> > numbers. I guess it is the same for most (sane) people who are
> > subscribed to more than one list.
>
> Do your participate? The ones I'm talking about didn't.

In half of them (2 lists), I just lurk. I read all the messages sent
to the list, but I neither start new threads nor comment on existing
ones. I am proudly a lurker. :D

> Well, you may be right. But to have 70 people out of 80 people NOT participate is interesting
> at least.

The numbers I showed previously in this message explain the
phenomenon, I believe.

> And the other ten posting maybe once every month or so???

It is a symptom that the subject is probably not very stimulating for
most people. Or maybe people expect the participation of members that
master the language more than them. Shyness is also a reason for
people to avoid starting new threads.

> Yes, I agree. However, I would suggest that a truly committed small group of folks who are
> doing their best to present their language can do a lot more than one might expect. For
> example, on one of my sites, which is new, and not a language site, has jumped
> tremendously in the "google" ratings just because the extra help keeps the material fresh.
>
> I don't see why that can't and wouldn't translate into a similar interest in an IAL site. Activity
> breeds activity. So, if a list has a "large" number and virtually no activity, it won't grow.

Ok. I agree that intense activity is good for a community.

> Perhaps, too many are waiting for the other guy to do it all, when their steady input could
> make all the difference in the world.

Perhaps. Who knows? :)

> Anyway, my point was, the numbers we all throw around are not what they seem to be at first
> appearance. That's all.

True.

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues