Den 2007-02-22 09:32:10 skrev Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]>:

> History has many lessons about this. The period of Russification is still
> painfully remembered in Finland and probably in other non-Russian parts
> of
> the Russian and later the Soviet empire. In 1808 Sweden lost Finland to
> Russia in a war. At that time the question was, should we the Finns keep
> the language of our established Swedish elite or adopt the language of
> our
> new Russian masters. Arvidson and Snellman (both ironically Swedish
> names)
> created the famous motto: "We are not Swedes and we don't want to become
> Russians, so let us be Finns!" Looking back now, when the Finnish
> language
> is well at the level of both Swedish and Russian, that was the right path
> to take.
>
> So I wouldn't advice Anglification nor Francification to Cameroon. A
> better solution would be to support the local languages that have already
> become de facto lingua francas, i.e. Beti in south, Adamawa Fulfulde in
> north and pidgin in the centre. Maybe that wouldn't unify the nation, but
> that's because there was no nation to be unified in the first place,
> there
> was only an idea of a nation yet to be created.

I read a couple of years ago a book about Johan Ludvig Runeberg - I wanted
to compare him to Poland's National poet Adam Mickiewicz. And in the book
about Runeberg I found an interesting passage saying that Runeberg's wife
used to meet other ladies on Thirsdays' afternoons to speak Finnish. So
they were Swedish speakers but wanted to imrpve their Finnish and then
they invited the maids to talk to them in Finnish.

Why did Finland succeed where Ireland appearantly didn't?

Kjell R

--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/