li [Kjell Rehnström] mi tulis la

> The question of linguistic diversity depends basically from
> where you
> stand, if I may express the matter like that. If you are an English
> speaker and live in the US you have a whole contintnt with the same
> language. Same might be if you speak Russian and have more or
> less the
> whole north of Eurasia for yourself. Same might be said about
> Brasil or  Mexico.

Well, we don't have an entire continent speaking English.  Central
America is part of the North American continent, and it's virtually all
Spanish speaking.  English is almost universal in the U.S., and is much
more popular in Canada than French.  The few indiginous languages of N.
America are almost all close to extinction except for a couple of
preservation movements.

South America would be a different story because there are some
indiginous languages that are still going strong.

Australia on the other hand, does seem to be closest to having a whole
continent under one language.

> So it is easy to think that one should do this or not about minority
> languages. But if you speak a minority language yourself it
> is another  thing. It depends what kind of society you grow up in.
> Imagine that you speak a minority language and you are a little child
going to
> by milk, and  you don't understand what the people say in the shop, as
they are
> immigrants from the country occupying you. Perhaps you play with the
> children from that people and you eventually learn the
> language they speak.  ...

The fact is that nobody wants to be the one that has to change, but in
the interest of uniting people and setting standards, *someone* will be
affected, and it's much more practical have the minorities change than
vice versa.