li [Isaac Penzev] mi tulis la

> I agree with Risto. Ukraine still suffers from linguistic
> problems caused by
> long time exposure to Russian in its eastern part and Polish
> in its western
> part. It's especially true when the today's authorities insist on the
> official status only for Ukrainian, while perhaps a half of
> population has a
> different mother tongue.

> A_propos, I am shocked with Dana's "Highlander"-styled statements as
> concerns ethnic languages. They are not only means of
> communication, they
> are cultural tools.

It's true that language is closely tied to culture, but it's these
cultural and linguistic divisions that are usually at the heart of most
human conflicts.   I'm also not saying that these langauges should be
suppressed, only that they shouldn't be elevated to the status of the
mainstream national languages.

> Will the adoption of The Language make me
> unable to read
> Pushkin and Shevchenko, to say nothing about the Pentateuch or Likutei
> Amarim? Will then my mindset be framed by the globalistic
> mass culture of
> the day? "Shakespear - who the hell is this guy?"

Did the death of Latin kill knowledge of the works of Cicero?  Has
Chaucer been lost though nobody speaks Middle English anymore?  Maybe we
should revive Classical Greek, Latin, Anglo-Saxon and maybe even Gothic?
What would be gained from that?  Looking back is interesting and often
educational, but it can't be changed and time goes on.

Yes, a lot of music and poetry loses something when being translated but
a different language will still provide opportunities for creative
expression.