I'm in the process of chasing down articles regarding IVC diameter on
ultrasound, particularly with reference to assessing fluid status and as a
surrogate for CVP.  Would anyone happen to know of any research defining
normal IVC diameter in pediatrics?  The only thing I've been able to come up
with so far is Jay Pershad's article from Pediatrics in 2004 which mentions
extrapolating from adult studies and indicates normal as 9.2 mm +/- 2.4,
with > 50% collapse with quiet inspiration.

Thanks,

Steve Socransky

Sudbury, Ontario

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: