Dear Group,
  We are considering using CT scan with rectal contrast for evaluation of appendicitis in children at our institution and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this.  Specificially,
  1.  What type of contrast do you use and how much?
  2.  Are there any adverse effects you have encountered?  (perforations, diarrhea, allergies, etc)
  3.  Cooperation from the children and is there an age limit?  Cooperation from the parents?
  4.  Outcome of imaging studies and diagnosis, patient outcome
  5.  Do you find by using rectal contrast, you may have missed other pathologies that would have otherwise been picked up by oral contrast?

  Thanks for your help.

  Ee Tay, MD
  Children's Hospital at Montefiore
  Bronx, NY