Dear PEM Colleagues and Friends of EMSC

An EMSC crisis has suddenly emerged. See the below letter from AAP
representative Cindy Pellegrini.

We all need to call our Members of Congress THIS WEEK

I have attached some documents (from last year) that may be helpful as you
prepare for your calls this week (and visits to the Hill whenever).

We must act now to save this vital program

Carpe Diem, Nate Kuppermann

Dear Friends of EMSC

Your aid is urgently needed to support the Emergency Medical Services for
Children (EMSC) program!

As you know, the AAP is leading an effort in Congress to fund the EMSC
program.  While the president has proposed eliminating EMSC for the past 3
years, Congress has level-funded the program at $19 million.  AAP and other
organizations are urging Congress to provide $25 million for EMSC in Fiscal
Year 2008.

Due to an unexpected and little-noticed change in committee rules, letters
from Members of Congress in support of this proposal are due FRIDAY.  Our
champions in the House of Representatives, Reps. Jim Matheson (D-UT) and
Peter King (R-NY), are currently circulating a letter to their colleagues
inviting them to sign on in support of the EMSC request.

We need your help TODAY to urge your Member of Congress to sign on.  Heres
how you can help:

Find your Representative and the number for his/her Washington, DC office at
www.house.gov by entering your home zip code.
Call the Washington, DC office and ask for the health LA (legislative
assistant).
Whether you speak to them in person or leave a voice mail message, tell them
the following:

My name is __________ and Im a pediatrician in your district, at (practice
or institution, in city/town).  Im particularly concerned about emergency
medical care for children, both during everyday emergencies and disasters.
Id like to ask Representative ___________ to sign onto a letter being
circulated by Reps. Jim Matheson and Peter King in support of the Emergency
Medical Services for Children (EMSC) program.  EMSC is the only federal
program that focuses on improving emergency medical care for children.  Its
a modest investment that generates enormous returns.  I hope the
Representative will sign on.  The contacts for signatures are Neeta Bidwai
with Rep. Matheson and KerryAnn Watkins with Rep. King, and the deadline is
noon Thursday.  If youd like to talk more about this, you can reach me at
(contact info) or call Cindy Pellegrini with the American Academy of
Pediatrics at 202/347-8600.

Youre encouraged to personalize this message as you like, especially if you
have information about pediatric emergency care issues in your community.

The following Members of Congress signed the letter last year.  If your
Representative is on this list, please note that fact because it should be
easier for them to sign on again.

Tom Allen (ME), Xavier Becerra (CA), Russ Carnahan (MO), William Lacy Clay
(MO), John Conyers (MI), Henry Cuellar (TX), Elijah Cummings (MD), Peter
DeFazio (OR), Al Green (TX), Gene Green (TX), Raul Grijalva (AZ), Stephanie
Herseth (SD), Maurice Hinchey (NY), Michael Honda (CA), William Jefferson
(LA), Dale Kildee (MI), Carolyn Maloney (NY), Doris Matsui (CA), Jim
McDermott (WA), Gwen Moore (WI), Donald Payne (NJ), Jan Schakowsky (IL), Vic
Snyder (AR), Pete Stark (CA), Robert Wexler (FL)

Please dont hesitate to contact me or Arika Pierce at AAPs Washington DC
office (contact info below) if you have any questions at all.  Thank you for
your advocacy!

Cindy Pellegrini
Assistant Director, Dept. of Federal Affairs
American Academy of Pediatrics
601 13th St, NW, Suite 400N
Washington, DC  20005
(202) 347-8600 main