Hi all,

in the transcription of Jane Austen's manuscript an element like
<ornament> would be perfect as JA tend to reproduce in her manuscripts
the appearance of printed books ruling, for instances, headings and
drawings rules to fill lines at the end of paragraphs.

In some cases a rend attribute can be used, for instance <head
rend="ruled">, but in other cases it is more difficult as for the
filling rules for which I use a <seg> element or for decorations she
draw in the covers.
This decorations are indeed really basic and it seems really not worthy
to include such thing as graphics of images as they can be reproduced in
the output using HTML/CSS features.

Perhaps the needs of my project are really too specific, but I just
wanted to mention a circumstance in which I would have used such element
in case it would have been available.

Elena

--
Elena Pierazzo