Hi there,

Serge HEIDEN wrote:
> I think this is the point where we disagree. For me, encoding represents a
> contract between humans about the interpretation of a text AND represents
> a contract between humans and machines about the interpretation they
> should share for the things they have to do together : that is text interchange
> between humans AND machines. If TEI is only for humans, I am afraid
> we will not be able to built useful software for TEI texts.

This is exactly my position. I think if the TEI is to gain broader
acceptance, tools must be available for working with it, and it must be
more friendly to the notion of interchange; and tools will require some
degree of consistency if they are to operate on texts in any meaningful
way. There seems to be a common view that the TEI is essentially just a
set of guidelines and conventions, and that customization and
flexibility should be at the heart of all TEI encoding, but this
undermines the value of TEI as an interchange format and as an archive
format. I believe there are some areas of the schema where it's
reasonable to ask for a degree of rigidity and consistency that might be
inappropriate elsewhere. This is one reason why my appInfo proposal is a
self-contained unit.

Cheers,
Martin

--