Patrik Nyman wrote:
> Here the single logical paragraph of text gets split in two.
> I need to be able to determine that they belong together.
> One possibility is:

>   It continues
>
>   <catchwords>and</catchwords>
>   <signatures>A 1</signatures>
>
>   <pb n="2"/>
>   <pagehead>A Tiny Essay</pagehead>
>
>   and concludes on the next page.</p>
>
> But this seems to imply (?) that the contents of <catchwords>,

Which, surely, they do in some sense?
If you were interested, for example, in knowing how often paragraphs got
broken by page breaks, you would look for <p> elements containing <pb/>s.

There is no <pagehead> element in TEI, by the way (and if there were, it
would be spelled pageHead): the element you want is (probably) <fw>

>  And besides, it
> might give formatting problems.
Well, it *might* if your formatter was not smart enough to say "aha! a
<fw> ! I think I can safely ignore this little sucker" -- but if it's
not smart enough to do that, you probably need to get a smarter formatter...

>  Personally, I prefer:

>   It continues</p>
>
>   <catchwords>and</catchwords>
>   <signatures>A 1</signatures>
>
>   <pb n="2"/>
>   <pagehead>A Tiny Essay</pagehead>

>  have two questions related to the use of <pb/>.
>

> Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is, to be brutal, a lie. And lies are, on the
whole, to be avoided. Suppose I want to count the number of times in
this text that a paragraph gets split across a page boundary. Or even
just the number of paragraphs that occur irrespective of page
boundaries. If I use your encoding above, my counting will require some
pretty fancy foot work if it is to give me the right answer.

> -- 2 --

>     <head>A Small Section</head>
>
>   <catchwords>Here's</catchwords>
>   <signatures>A 2</signatures>
>
>   <pb n="3"/>
>   <pagehead>A Tiny Essay</pagehead>

>     <head>A Second Section</head>
>
> Is this correct? Or where would you suggest the first <div>
> ends and the second one begins?

Nice example! It probably depends on whether you want your <div>s to
divide the text completely -- in which case you won't want anything
between </div> and <div> -- or whether you think that conventionally a
section ends on a page boundary, in which case you'd end the first <div>
before the <pb n="3"/>. m One thing that might help you decide  would be
if the second pager heading actually read "A second section" of course.

But what all this boils down to is that the formework -- the page
boundary stuff -- is not from the same  dimension as the <div>
structure, so any rules about how their interstices intertwingle are
bound to be pretty arbitrary!

Lou