Julia and all,

Thanks for the interesting post.  I have been thinking a lot lately
about what you call "low-percentage encoding."  As you point out, markup
has for practical reasons been geared for search and display, and this
of course enables all kinds of research.  But perhaps one weakness of
markup so far is that it is more procedurally predefined than
exploratory, and there are certain aspects of literary scholarship that
don't jibe with this.

As some literary projects have been around long enough to have begun
looking beyond "high-level markup," I wonder what seems to be coming
next?  Are you looking for ways to accommodate more controversial,
thesis-driven claims about your texts?  Perhaps even a variety of such
claims? Or are you looking for ways to layer in even more detail of the
same kinds of observations present in your first round of markup?  What
do you eventually want your markup to do for scholarship that it
currently can't?  I'd be interested in hearing from people on different
projects.

Thanks,
Amanda

--