Serge HEIDEN wrote:
> Section B is relative to the various parameters that could be needed
> to process the text by a particular tool.
> For example, in the analysis tools we build here, we would need to encode
> the following parameters :
> - specific tokenization rules, including character classes definitions and
> particular element roles definition : elements composing or delimiting
> words (num, abbr, w...), reading choosing rules (choice, corr, sic...), etc. ;
> - specific text processing parameters :
> -- like "not to be processed"  rule definitions : focusing on elements
> like gap, note... ;
> -- like "specific indexes" rule definitions : focusing on elements like
> head, foreign, hi... ;
> - application specific parameters :
> -- like text/corpus partitionning definitions, section referencing policy, etc.

Yes, this is precisely the kind of information which any decent text
processing system needs to store in the header.  For XAIRA we developed
a fairly complex <xairaSpecification> element, defined as an extension
to the <encodingDesc> element in the Header to do this job: if you're
interested, check out the gory details at
http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/XMLedition/URG/xairaspec.html

One of the things that worries me about Martin's proposal is that I
don't see how it can scale up to this sort of level. I don't for a
moment imagine we've got the xaira spec right, but we need something
with this degree of expressiveness, and what's on the table so far
doesn't approach it.

Lou (momentarily not wearing TEI-editor-hat)