Stefan,

Question: Is the observed pause part of the segments? or is it between uttered segments?

A pause can also occur between utterances and by analogy wouldn't a pause internal to an utterance be one
between segments?

<seg> elements can take "prev" "next" and "part" attributes

--
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

Everyone is a little bit crazy; everyone at some time has a learning disability;
No one is ever a little bit positive.