Rex May wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:14:15 -0700, Donald J. HARLOW
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> snip
>>> The "-icx" suffix was proposed (by various speakers) for that, and
>>> it has been used and is still sometimes seen.  But it didn't really
>>> take root.  It's hard to say why, since nothing prevents such an
>>> addition to Esperanto.
>>
>> Right, as it would be almost strictly cosmetic. I guess nobody really
>> feels the need. (Generally, the proponents of such a modification are
>> men, who feel that they are protecting the fine sensitivities of the
>> poor Esperanto-speaking woman. In general, the poor
>> Esperanto-speaking woman could give a sh*t.)
>
> I said in a previous post that it would affect prior Eo by actually
> changing the meaning of words.  Patro would mean 'parent.'  But
> maybe that wouldn't be all that unsettling.

There'd be no problem if you used gepatro for parent, gefrato for sibling,
etc. and temporarily left the meaning of patro, frato, etc. unchanged.

>  Anyhow, I don't like
> the esthetics of icx, either.

Its main merit is the parallel between -icxo/-ino and -cxjo/-njo.

>   In Texperanto I used -ero, and changed
> the original -ero to -isko.

I've also seen -uno used instead of -icxo.

>>> I come across the "na" particle in use from time to time, but it's
>>> too soon to say whether it will become widespread.
>>
>> Not really. I'd be glad to make a prediction, with 99.9% confidence
>> that I'd be right.
>
> As somebody mentioned previously, the idea of using it to mark
> foreign names and other words that just don't feel right adding
> -on to might be the most useful function for it.  And those iom
> constructions, which always seemed incomplete to me - they
> definitely rely on word order for clarity:
>
> iom da hundoj mordis mi.

Did you really bite a few dogs?
There's a difference between "iom da hundoj mordis mi" (= I bit a few dogs)
and "iom da hundoj mordis min" (= a few dogs bit me).
The main problem would be sentences like "iom da hundoj mordis multe da
tigroj". Kiu mordis kiun? But in this case we could perhaps say "iom da
hundoj kaj multe da tigroj mordis sin reciproke" or "... mordis unu la
alian" although if the dogs or the tigers are very young there could be only
one group of biters.
In the case of dogs and tigers, there could be a doubt, but in most cases,
mainly when one is animate and the other one, inanimate, the context is
clear enough: "iom da infanoj mangxis multe da fruktoj". But if the story
ever took place in Wonderland...

JF