Je 03.34 ptm 2007.03.31, Paul BARTLETT skribis
>On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Donald J. HARLOW wrote:
>
>>[...]
>
>>Actually, I think that this is a good argument for using
>>capitalization on proper nouns -- to save people like your father
>>the fruitless exercise of going to the dictionary to look up a
>>common word that doesn't really exist.
>
>For orthographies like Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek which have majuscule /
>minuscule forms this may make sense.  However, many scripts of the world
>have no such pairs of forms; they just have undifferentiated latters.

However, as far as I know most such languages are spoken -- and read
-- primarily by competent native speakers who have no problems
distinguishing proper names from common words. Capitalization of
proper names is of use largely to neophyte speakers of the language
in question.

-- Don HARLOW