Here in Melbourne we are wanting to update our clinical practice guideline
for management of fever in children. We wish to include a section on the
management of the child with ongoing fever who has been on antibiotics for
24 hours or more.

A search of publications, guideline clearing houses and the Internet has
not provided any existing evidence to support a given practice.

Can I ask the list what the practices are in other institutions, and for
individual thoughts. Do all these kids need septic work up? Do they all
need LP? Is watchful waiting reasonable?

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated

Ed

Ed Oakley
Paediatric Emergency Physician
Department of Emergency Medicine