Je 06.22 atm 2007.04.02, Kjell REHNSTROM skribis
>Den 2007-04-02 13:47:27 skrev James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>:
>

>>Sorry Kjell, perhaps I failed to make clear that I was
>>refering only to the "Nian lokan kulturon al la mondo"
>>bit - what can this mean?  I almost want it to mean
>>"From our local culture to the world" - but can the -n
>>ending really be used to translate "from" as well as
>>"to(wards)"?
>>
>>Konfuset salutos.
>>
>>Kordiale, James Chandler
>
>Salute James!
>
>Il es possibile que li pensa es alquo come in "Bonan tagon", i.e. "(Mi
>sendas) la lokan kulturon al la mondo" o "(Mi sendas) la lokan kulturon en
>la mondon". O it posse simplimen ser hyper-korrectesse.

The first answer is obviously the right one. This sort of
"shorthanding" of presumably guessable full sentences is common in
other languages as well; newspaper headlines are the most obvious
example, I think. Also omission of already stated an already stated.
("Whom are you out to get?" "Me!")

I think the missing verb here is probably "eksporti".

Answer to James's question: no, the -N ending can't be used to
translated "from", though you can fake it with "ekster" ("li kuris
ekster la domon" = al ekster la domo).

-- Don HARLOW