Je 09.49 atm 2007.04.04, Dave MacLEOD skribis

>Ha, you tell us about everything else going on in the world of
>Esperanto but didn't include this bit of news:
>
>http://liberafolio.org/Members/timwestover/PremioHarlow
>
>Anything else interesting going on that you would otherwise neglect
>out of modesty?

I don't think that I ever mentioned here that in 2003 I won half of
the Deguchi Prize, which amounted to a thousand euros (most of which
is still in my account at UEA). The Deguchi Prize, money provided by
the Deguchi family of Oomoto in Japan, is given to the person or
persons who in the opinion of UEA has (have) done the most for world
peace through Esperanto in the year in question. I think that I got
mine for having creating the mailing list "reago", via which a few
hundred people are notified of mentions of Esperanto in the media so
that they can respond as seems appropriate.

"Don't applaud, just throw money."

>ELNA Anoncas premion Harlow por tradukoj de usona poezio
>de Tim WESTOVER Laste modifita: 2007-03-29 09:20

I have to admit that this came as a surprise to me when I first heard
about it a week or so ago.

Personally, I'd have argued against it (I've worked for Esperanto for
years for the sake of Esperanto, not to have prizes named after me)
except that it seems to be a useful means of getting people to start
work on presenting U.S. culture (many Europeans don't believe that
there is such a thing!), in the form of its literature, to the
Esperanto-speaking part of the world.

The president of ELNA, when he informed me of this, also told me that
the people who came up with it had revived in themselves an interest
in that ancient and ephemeral, and never-yet-seen, book "Usona
Antologio" (American Anthology). For me, and assuming that this goes
anywhere (and I'm going to harp on it), that makes the whole thing worthwhile.

(For those who don't know, there's an ancient and hoary tradition of
publishing, every now and then, an anthology of literature from some
culture or other translated into Esperanto. I have a whole shelf full
of these books, some of them dating from the first half of the
twentieth century. Yesterday I mentioned what may be the latest in
the tradition, the "Antologio de serba poezio (1200-2000)". While
there have been three volumes of "Antologio" from Great Britain
("Angla Antologio 1000-1800", "Angla Antologio 1800-1950" and "Skota
Antologio" [*]), there's never been one from the United States.)

There's never been one from Canada, either (hint! hint!), even though
we all know (well, all of us except a few of my fellow "Americans")
that Canada has a well-developed indigenous literature (and you can
take "indigenous" in either of at least two different meanings).

---

(*) Interestingly, China, too, has provided three such volumes, but
from a much more restricted historical period. The first, "Cxina
Antologio 1949-1959", had its contents apparently selected more for
their political correctness than for their literary quality (which
should not be taken to mean that they had none). Much later, two
further volumes -- "Cxina Antologio 1919-1949" and "Cxina Antologio
1949-1979", were produced. The original volume seems to be largely,
and intentionally, forgotten these days, which IMHO is something of a pity.

-- Don HARLOW