Je 09.13 atm 2007.04.01, Thomas ALEXANDER (kies nomon mi kun plezuro
revidas cxi tie) skribis

>Bob wrote[1]:
> > All one needs to use Occidental is that "postcard"
> > grammar.  Everything else, frankly, is easily
> > learned by an example, or by learning vocabulary.
>
>Another point where I see other listmembers talking
>at cross-purposes with Bob is that he seems to use
>the word "grammar" differently from the way many
>others here mean it.  Until you agree about what that
>word means, you'll never agree about how many
>postcards are necessary to describe it.  Bob seems to
>use the term to mean mostly "grammatical endings."
>Who can argue with the claim that all the gramatical
>endings of Occidental can be written on a postcard?

Shoot, all the (eleven) grammatical endings of Esperanto can be
written on a Chinese fortune cookie slip (at least, if you use both
sides). (*) Admittedly, if you want to say what they mean you would
need more space (maybe a 3x5 index card?

Todd Moody's comments (in another posting) on syntax are, however,
well-taken, and so for a complete grammar all
fortune-cookie-slip-3-x-5-card-postcard bets are off, for Esperanto
as for Occidental.

Gilbert, in "Planlingvaj problemoj", gives a nice comparison table of
the grammars of Occidental and Interlingua in three columns.
Grammatical morphology takes up pages 78-89, but we can knock out
about three-fifths of this, since it's devoted to Interlingua (2/5)
and clarifying remarks (1/5); (**) so the actual morphology of
Occidental takes up a bit less than five pages. *Pace* Todd, Gilbert
devotes seven lines (full-page-width) to syntax of Occidental and
Interlingua: one says that the standard word order is SVO, though OSV
is permitted (the only example he gives, however, is one that you
could easily find in English -- see e.g. Burroughs's "Tarzan of the
Apes" for various examples -- where there's a pronoun that has a
separate accusative form, thus allowing subject-object order to be
changed in a non-confusing way), while the other simply points out
that in Occidental you often have to use a preposition where a simple
change in ending works in Esperanto. I suspect that there is more to
Occidental (and Interlingua) syntax than this ...

---

(*) I am still waiting, however, to crack open a Chinese fortune
cookie and find a slip that reads "All nouns end in -O".

(**) Add perhaps a page or two, since many of the remarks in the
"remarks" column relate to Occidental, e.g. the one about the infinitives.

-- Don HARLOW