Je 10.42 atm 2007.04.05, Wayne S. ROSSI skribis
>--- Rex May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Did Lenin actually speak Eo?
>
>I've never run across any evidence to suggest this.
>Here is a little piece in the Marxist Internet Archive
>from the "Manifesto de Sennaciistoj":
>
>"Lenin was an opponent of Esperanto and consequently
>all orthodox Leninists who have already learned
>Esperanto, ought to unlearn it. In the Russian gazette
>Raboce Krestdjynsij Korespondent, # 21, Nov. 1928,
>Comrade M. J. Uljanova, the sister of Lenin, among
>other things, said: "Lenin several times spoke about
>Esperanto and very unfavourably, considering it to be
>too artificial, simplified and lifeless...""
>http://www.marxists.org/archive/lanti/1931/manifesto.htm
>
>This piece (from the Weekly Worker, a sort of gossipy
>rag from a small British group that calls itself the
>Communist Party of Great Britain) takes a different
>position, that Lenin was not an Esperantist but wasn't
>hostile to it:
>
>http://www.cpgb.org.uk/worker/409/esperanto.html
>
>It looks like generally a good article on the history
>of Esperanto on the left.
>
>For the curious, there's apparently a (very unclear)
>scan of a Trotskyist pamphlet in Esperanto from the
>'30s:
>http://gfdl.marxists.org.uk/esperanto/laperm/index.htm
>(Though Trotsky, to my knowledge, also didn't know
>Esperanto.)

Evidence is that the new USSR, under Lenin, was far from hostile to
Esperanto (issuing the first postage stamps in the language, for
instance); the hostility developed after Stalin took over the reigns
of government. One may suspect that Lenin was at least not violently
opposed to Esperanto.

-- Don HARLOW