--- Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> More troublesome, however, is that we can mix these
> metaphores in our own thinking, even within one
> language.  For example... "antauxen al la venonta
> tago, aux reen al la antauxa."  Even in English, we
> talk about "moving on" (forward) to the days after
> (behind) or "going back" to the day "before."

Yes, this is something that has troubled the heck out
of me at times. At one point I thought Japanese was
strange, because the word "mae" (front) is used to
refer to the past, so that "mae no hi" means "the day
before". of course, I soon realized, as you pointed
out above, that we do exactly the same thing in
English. We say "go forward" but "he died before his
wife" means not that he died going forward, but rather
going backward, or. . . And like you said, "standing
in front of a tree" actually means behind the tree if
we're both assumed to be going "forward", whatever
that means. Sorry, my brain is melting at this point.
Malfunction. I can't conti...

No, it is confusing because actually time is
complicated; it doesn't really flow but we impose our
own metaphors onto it. So it's not surprising that
everything doesn't fit easily mathematically.

Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front