Den 2007-04-05 00:34:18 skrev Donald J. HARLOW <[log in to unmask]>:

>Yes. But you are talking about _translating_, not necessarily _meaning_.
> (Actually, the translation into English of "mi gxojas" is "I rejoice",
> not "I'm happy" or "I'm glad". "Gxoj'" describes an action, not a
> characteristic. Check your Esperanto dictionary.)

When an Esperanto speaker said: Mi ghojas esti tie chi. I suppose you
would translate this as "I'm happy to be here." Of course you cannot
translate this as "Mi estas felicha esti tie chi."

My reference is of course Swedish - don't know better, and the proverbial
American filmstar who comes to Sweden will say: I'm happy to be here in
Sweden. And take up a dictionary and translate this as "Jag är lycklig att
vara här i Sverige" sound just juck! He has to say that he is "glad"
"happy" to be here.

The Swede who learns Esperanto will also learn that his "Jag är glad..."
will be "Mi ghojas.." Mi koleras "Jag är arg." I'm quit sure that if you
made an questionaire among a sizeable number of Esperanto speakers in say
Europe you would get the answer that they would not feel "Mi ghojas" as
much different from "Mi estas ghoja". It is even possible that you might
get a division according to what sort of languages people spoke. Greeks
would then mean that "Mighojas" is natural whereas Scandinavians would
mean that "Mi estas ghoja" were more correct.

I once made a check. I asked Swedish Esperanto speakers to translate the
senetence: I have lived in Uppsala for 20 years. And they Esperantified
this to "Mi estas vivinta (or vivis) en Upsalo 20 jarojn." Polish speakers
on the other hand would translate "Mi vivas en Upsalo jam 20 jarojn" which
is the ´Polish way of rendering this phrase.

So, as Esperanto is a language acquired by people in a rather mature age,
they will take their language habits into the auxiliary language, which I
don't think to be strange in any way but quite natural. This is where an
auxiliary langauge will stand out in comparison to an ethnic one that will
not to such a degree tolerate that you carry with you habits from you own
langauge.

Kjell R
--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/