Dear Richard,

the TEI wiki seems to feature some group activity on this under the SIG
heading, though it does not seem to be an SIG, yet.
(http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/FacsimileMarkup)

I would be quite keen to take this forward, since we - the Codex Sinaiticus
Project - are linking transcribed words to the field they occupy on a master
image. We do this, at the moment, via a third file that maps word id to
co-ordinates. I am still looking for either an existing standard (METS
offers some possibilities) or, more specifically and even better, for ways
to customise and use TEI. It seems to me quite straight forward on the
surface, but more tricky, once one considers further ramifications -
absolute co-ordinates vs. vectors etc. - and the fact that a set of more
general guidelines, beyond project-internal solutions would be desirable.

Anyone else doing work on this?

Juan

Dr Juan Garc├ęs
Curator, Codex Sinaiticus Project

The British Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7516
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7787

>From: Richard Light <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Physical characteristics of primary sources
>Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:30:24 +0100
>
>We are encoding a set of manuscripts and notebooks containing various poems
>and prose items.  We plan to use the "double encoding" technique (P4
>Section 31.5), so as to represent both physical sources and logical works
>correctly.
>
>We are therefore interested in being able to mark up physical
>characteristics of our physical sources: page size, materials, etc. Section
>18.4 of P4 sends us off with a wave of the hand to do our own thing; has
>anyone else tackled this issue?
>
>In particular, we are interested in being able to indicate the placement of
>our logical works on our physical sources, using some sort of co-ordinate
>system.  Might this be a job for Feature Structures?  Or some other TEI
>mechanism?
>
>All advice gratefully received ...
>
>Richard Light
>--
>Richard Light
>SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy

Make free PC-to-PC calls with no loss of life!
http://www.communicationevolved.com/en-za/