For what it's worth, I believe that in the projects I have worked on
involving EpiDoc or other customisations of TEI, we have always used
very limited (if not controlled) vocabularies for the values of @rend.
(And always to indicate appearance or behaviour in the original, not
intended rendering in output.) For our purposes therefore, the proposed
modification would be acceptable (although perhaps cumbersome). On the
one hand it would make it easier to customise the value-list; on the
other it would require more management of teiHeader information across
projects and corpora (this would be most analogous to the use of
<language> @ids in our texts).

I can see the pros and cons on this proposal, in other words. Perhaps if
it really does break many people's texts there needs to be some interim
period of deprecated usage?

Best,

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD