Dear TEI-L Members,

The TEI Council is considering a change in P5 to TEI's global rend
attribute.  Currently (in P5, P4, and earlier) the rend attribute can
contain any string of characters.  Some prose in the Guidelines
describes this content as follows:

The contents of the rend attribute are free text.  In any
given project, encoders are advised to settle on a standard vocabulary
with which to describe typographic or manuscript rendition of the text,
and to document their usage of that vocabulary in the <rendition>
element of the TEI header.

In part to formalize and strengthen the relationship between the rend
attribute and the <rendition> element in the TEI Header, the Council
is considering changing the rend attributes dataytype to a pointer to
one or more <rendition> elements in the header.  The <rendition>
elements in the header would provide a clear and precise rendition
vocabulary that could be specified in an existing standard language
such as CSS or XSL-FO, another language/standard, or a system of the
user's own invention.

Thus, the TEI Header might contain a series of rendition elements
such as the following:

<rendition xml:id="i" n="italic">font-style: italic;</rendition>
<rendition xml:id="u" n="underline">text-decoration: underline;</
rendition>
<rendition xml:id="b" n="bold">font-weight: bold;</rendition>
<rendition xml:id="sc" n="small caps">font-variant: small-caps;</
rendition>
<rendition xml:id="strike" n="strike through">text-decoration: line-
through;</rendition>
<rendition xml:id="center" n="center">text-align: center;</rendition>
<rendition xml:id="right"  n="right" >text-align: right;</rendition>

The rend attributes elsewhere in the document would refer to this
list.  For example:

   <head rend="#center #b">
       ANACTORIA
   </head>
   <lg>
	<l n="1">
		<hi rend="#sc">
			My
		</hi>
		life is bitter with thy love; thine eyes
	</l>
	<l n="2">
		Blind me, thy tresses burn me, thy sharp sighs
	</l>
	<l n="3">
		Divide my flesh and spirit with soft sound,
	</l>
	<l n="4">
		And my blood strengthens, and my veins abound.
	</l>

   </lg>

Some perceived advantages of this approach include:

* formalizing the explicilty stated relationship between <rendition>
and rend
* encouraging more accurate and precise definitions of rendition
vocabularies
   for TEI documents.
* avoiding loose encoding practices which allow, for instance,
   rend="italic", rend="italics", rend="italicize", etc. all in a
single document.
The major disadvantage of this approach is that it is not consistent
with some existing practices and existing rend content.  Of course,
the issue of "breaking" existing documents/practice exists for many
other changes in P5. The TEI rend attribute is a widely-used global
attribute, and the Council would like feedback from TEI-L and the TEI
community on this proposed change.

Please post your comments to the list.

John