Je 09.28 ptm 2007.05.25, Dave MacLEOD skribis
>2007/5/26, Donald J. HARLOW <[log in to unmask]>:
>>Je 05.27 ptm 2007.05.25, Dave MacLEOD skribis
>> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-translate/browse_frm/thread/
>> ee6a07c937a1e452
>> >
>> >Please support Esperanto as a languange inside Gmail like you already
>> >support it for your main page. Esperanto probably has more speakers
>> >that Hebrew or Finnish or Dutch, which you already support.
>>
>>Did you write this, or are you quoting it, Dave? I am assuming the latter.
>>
>>If you accept the canonical quote for the number of speakers of
>>Esperanto -- around two million -- which I do (more or less), but
>>many don't, you still come out below Hebrew or Finnish, to both of
>>which Ethnologue attributes almost five million speakers, and
>>definitely Dutch, with 17 million speakers.
>Yes, it's a quote from somewhere else. I don't think I've ever seen
>someone make the claim that Esperanto has more speakers than Dutch and
>was a bit surprised. It was part of a letter written by someone to
>Google who wants translation services in Esperanto, since they already
>provide it in Dutch and Dutch is spoken by less people, according to
>him.

When I compare the number of speakers of Esperanto with that of other
languages, I usually choose Icelandic and Welsh (see Ethnologue for
justification). I suppose I could include Gaelic (Irish, Scottish, or
any combination) as well, not to mention Letzeburgish. (*) But I
guess that wouldn't impress the powers-that-be at Google.

(*) Actually, all of these put together, according to the figures at
Ethnologue, produce fewer speakers than Esperanto. Again, I doubt
that this fact would be any more impressive to the Google people. (If
you want to look these up, Ethnologue lists Letzeburgish as
Luxembourgeois, which I suppose is different from Petitbourgeois.)

-- Don HARLOW