On Mon, 28 May 2007, auliuniv wrote:

> [trimmed for conciseness]

> This is why I prefer Occidental. I don't have to look for Occidental
> speakers to talk with others.

> For some reason they can't grasp that numbers like that mean nothing
> when one person with Occ can communicate with almost anyone they meet
> within vast areas of the planet. So, in that case, there is no need
> to have thousands or "two million" Occidentalists to visit while
> touring foreign countries. Is that so hard to grasp?

I have read similar claims for IALA Interlingua, and I don't think that
the conclusion holds for either language.  Suppose I am in northeastern
Spain and speak in Occidental (or Interlingua) to a Catalonian who is
not an Occidentalist (or Interlinguaist).  She may understand some of
what I am saying, but her recourse, not being an Occidentalist (or
Interlinguaist), is to reply in Catalan (or Spanish), which I probably
will not understand.  It seems to me that the communication will be
largely one way if only one is the user of the IAL.

--
Paul Bartlett