> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Don G

> --- Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > For example, there are, it is
> > said, languages that only have numbers to three, and
> > after that everything is "many". But from the
> > standpoint of an industrial society, that would seem
> > too limiting.

> Computers, the symbol of our modern IT world, get by
> with just a binary system of "0" ad "1".

No, the binary system is simply *based* on digits that can be
either 0 or 1, but can still represent and process much larger
numbers than 1 by multiple digits just as we can count past 9 in
the decimal system.  There are however some cultures that have
very primitive counting systems like Kjell mentioned, and really
do consider everything beyond their system to be just "many".
In the example above "five" could still be counted in a binary
system as "1001" but to a culture that doesn't count past 3, it
would just be "many".