> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Antonielly
Garcia Rodrigues

> On 5/21/07, MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Just about the only people that decide to learn an IAL
> > besides Esperanto either believe Esperanto is too flawed as
> > potential world language, or they've learned Esperanto
> already and are
> > bored / just love languages regardless of how many people
use them.

> Maybe I am a point outside the curve, but I do not think
Esperanto
> would be a bad WAL if it were adopted worldwide, and yet I do
not
> speak Esperanto, but Interlingua. I study Interlingua
primarily
> because of its propaedeutic benefits (play with etymology,
learn words
> from other languages, etc.), but I think it would also be a
very good
> pan-Romance auxlang. In other words, I think Interlingua would
be a
> good bridge (IAL) among speakers of a certain region of the
globe, if
> it were taught to school students during a small period of
time (6
> months to 1 year, perhaps). It would be nice to see Brazilian
students
> interacting to Italian students in chat rooms by using "broken
> Interlingua" as the bridge language.

I'm not much of a fan of Esperanto, but it makes just as much
sense as using English or some other natural language, and then
there's the benefit of it being much easier to learn because of
its regularity.  For a pan-Romance language though, I've found
Romanova to be very well designed.  I think Interlingua has a
good place as a pan-American language due to its major
influences being those of the colonial languages in the
Americas.

Not all auxlangs need to be IAL/WAL's.  I see where there could
be a lot of value to promoting regional or intercultural
auxlangs for more specific purposes.