> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens
Wilkinson

> --- "Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Je 09.39 atm 2007.05.22, James CHANDLER skribis
> >
> > >Shame I didnt think of any of that while I was
> > still
> > >an Idist...
> >
> > What, have you already forgotten how to speak the
> > language? If you
> > haven't you're _still_ an Idist, just not an overly
> > enthusiastic one.
>
> Dana already mentioned this, but I also get confused
> by that a lot. My initial assumption when I came
> across the word "Esperantist" (in English) was that it
> was a proponent of the language. Which I think is
> somewhat natural because -ist is commonly used with
> ideologies in English, whereas it is not generally
> used with speakers of languages. To me, the invented
> word "Japanist" would imply a Japanophile, or perhaps
> a scholar specializing in Japan, but not a speaker of
> the language. In fact, I still tend to assume that an
> Esperantist means "a believer in Esperanto" rather
> than just "a speaker of Esperanto", even if people
> tell me that is wrong. And I know that -ist is not
> limited to ideology. A psychiatrist is a person who
> uses psychiatry, not one who believes in it, so the
> language usage is not wrong per se. It just confuses
> me.
>
> Actually, I looked at a couple of pages in Wikipedia
> and I didn't get a clear idea there either. The
> English page on "Esperantist" said "a person who
> participates in the diffusion," but the Declaration of
> Boulogne page said it was defined simply as "a person
> who uses Esperanto." The Japanese page on
> "Esperantist" actually had a pretty good description
> saying that the usage is not always clear. Sometimes
> in Japanese it's translated with the suffix
> "-shugisha", which means a person who believes in an
> ideology. But in other places it's translated just as
> speaker.

I should have also added that Esperanto and Ido are movements
though, so speaking the language is part of joining the
movement.  It is possible to learn the language without being a
part of the "movement" but there is an obvious relationship
between them.  People who learn Esperanto, Ido or any other WAL
tend to want to get others to join their communities.