> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Donald J.
HARLOW

> >The question then isn't "can they?", but rather "why would
they
> >want to?", and what can be done to encourage them?
>
> But, Dana, you're arguing a position that's already shown to
be
> false. When I go to www.google.com , my screen comes up in
Esperanto
> -- they've already accepted Esperanto (and, for that matter,
> Interlingua, and Xhosa, and Amharic, and Pig Latin) as
interface
> languages. The question is not, in this model, "why would they
want
> to?" but "why would they want _not_ to?"

I just took a look and they also have "Elmer Fudd", "bork bork"
and something called "Hacker", with symbols for letters.  They
apparently have a "Google in Your Language" program where
they'll add other languages.  Why would they *not*?  Well, again
that goes back to the issue of making money. I don't see how
this helps them businesswise to put in these frivolous
languages.  At least Xhosa and Amharic are ethnic languages with
a defined, though probably small, audience to market to.

From the purely technical side, it should be noted that Gmail is
still in beta, so maybe they're just not ready to add a bunch of
additional languages yet.