2007/5/26, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>:
> They
> apparently have a "Google in Your Language" program where
> they'll add other languages.

The "Google in Your Language" program has been working since some
years ago, with many languages to translate Google services to (the
search site, Gmail, Orkut, etc). Among the languages available in the
volunteer translation program Latin and some planned languages are
included.

> Why would they *not*?  Well, again
> that goes back to the issue of making money. I don't see how
> this helps them businesswise to put in these frivolous
> languages.  At least Xhosa and Amharic are ethnic languages with
> a defined, though probably small, audience to market to.
>
> From the purely technical side, it should be noted that Gmail is
> still in beta, so maybe they're just not ready to add a bunch of
> additional languages yet.

I also don't know how including certain "languages" (like pig Latin)
in their services helps them make money, but facts are facts, and
Esperanto is one of the planned languages included in the volunteer
translation program, where, among other Google services, also Gmail is
being translated.

About Gmail being in beta... Well, it has been so for such a long time
now while working just perfect... :-) I guess they don't only want to
be completely sure everything is properly working but they may also
want to add several utilities to the service, as they come up into the
user's interface from time to time.

Anyway, this is the information about the Google services being
translated through the "Google in your language" program for the
planned languages for which I requested a translator account (which,
as far as I remember, were all such languages available in the program
when I got my account, and I think there are no more planned languages
included now):

Esperanto

Google Main Search Site (95% complete)
Gmail UI (100% complete)
Gmail Email (100% complete)
Gmail Static UI Content (79% complete)
Groups Beta (57% complete)
Main Site Help Pages (100% complete)
Orkut (48% complete)
Picasa2 (19% complete)
Search History (Personalized Search) (86% complete)
User Distributed Search (xlb) (100% complete)
Wireless (100% complete)
Wireless Transcoder (98% complete)

Interlingua

Google Main Search Site (95% complete)
Gmail UI (100% complete)
Gmail Email (98% complete)
Gmail Static UI Content (65% complete)
Groups Beta (44% complete)
Main Site Help Pages (100% complete)
Orkut (17% complete)
Picasa2 (0% complete)
Search History (Personalized Search) (53% complete)
User Distributed Search (xlb) (38% complete)
Wireless (73% complete)
Wireless Transcoder (0% complete)

Interlingue

Google Main Search Site (66% complete)
Gmail UI (1% complete)
Gmail Email (5% complete)
Gmail Static UI Content (0% complete)
Groups Beta (6% complete)
Main Site Help Pages (21% complete)
Orkut (0% complete)
Picasa2 (0% complete)
Search History (Personalized Search) (0% complete)
User Distributed Search (xlb) (18% complete)
Wireless (40% complete)
Wireless Transcoder (0% complete)

Volapuk

Google Main Search Site (30% complete)
Gmail UI (0% complete)
Gmail Email (0% complete)
Gmail Static UI Content (0% complete)
Groups Beta (3% complete)
Main Site Help Pages (2% complete)
Orkut (0% complete)
Picasa2 (0% complete)
Search History (Personalized Search) (0% complete)
User Distributed Search (xlb) (0% complete)
Wireless (0% complete)
Wireless Transcoder (0% complete)

Rod