Donald J. HARLOW skrev:

> This is one of the reasons why I've been griping about these weird
> adjective endings in Interlingua; they do not contribute to
> learnability. In Esperanto, if you learn 3,000 nouns, let us say, one
> adjective ending -A, and one rule for applying that to nouns, you
> have, at the cost of 3,002 memorization units, learned 3,000 nouns and
> 3,000 adjectives. (**) Bernasconi counted approximately 25 different
> endings which were really nothing more than adjective endings in
> Interlingua. So presumably, in Interlingua, if you learn 3,000 nouns,
> 25 adjective endings, and 3,000 rules about which adjective ending to
> apply to a given noun (because, again, you may be able to say "hippic"
> -- or "equin" for that matter, but when to use which of those is
> another question -- but you can't say "hippestre" or "equic"), you
> have learned 3,000 nouns and 3,000 adjectives at the cost of 6,025
> memorization units (it actually saves you a small amount of
> memorization just to learn the adjectives separately, as though they
> were independent words). This does not contribute to learnability. It
> doesn't militate against it, either, in overall terms -- I doubt
> you'll find a West European ethnic language which does better, or
> anywhere near as well -- but to learn Interlingua requires a higher
> degree of motivation to keep going than to learn Esperanto, for
> instance. (***)

Strangely this is not my experience. I found Interlngua much easier to
learn than Esperanto. And supposing that the order in which I learnt
these languages had been reversed, then how much wouldn't I have had to
relearn with Esperanto. And the benefits for those who happen to learn
Interlingua as their first foreign language are tremendous. Just a
little example, with Esperanto you have to learn that "nationell" is
"nacia" and not "national" which you might have expected.

Well taught Interlingua is much easier than Esperanto for a person with
any european language.

This is my own experience.

Kjell R