> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jens
Wilkinson

> > Isn't it just some kind of sabotageing the Wikipedia
> > when people put in
> > articles in languages that just a few people can
> > reed, the more that
> > most of them can read English quite well. Isn't it
> > just occupying space
> > for smaller ethnic language that could use this
> > space more than those
> > languages do.
>
> I don't think it's particularly meaningful to put
> articles in Wikipedia in small IALs, but at the same
> time, I don't think it does any damage. I don't think
> Wikipedia has a problem with space in the sense of the
> question you are asking. Maybe bandwidth, but then it
> becomes an issue of how many people are actually
> accessing those articles.

There's not really an issue with Bandwidth either since there's
no real difference in pulling up a page from one language to the
next except maybe for the actual size of the articles.  The
English articles all seem to be the longest anyway.  Spacewise,
it's really Wikimedia's call whether it's worth it. The question
should be just how useful are these articles in smaller
languages.  There may be several thousand articles in Volapük,
but does anyone ever actually read them?   It could even be
aruged that there's not much purpose to having an Esperanto Wiki
because users could just look up articles in their native
language, unless by chance the E-o version is somehow better in
quality, but that would depend upon who wrote the article rather
than what language was used.

I do find it interesting that Wikimedia allows these
conauxlangs, but likes to delete articles about some conlangs
(Vorlin seems to be the latest target), while keeping others.
There just seems to be a lot of inconsistency to their policies
on conlangs.  The Ceqli articles seem to remain unchallenged,
though it too is still an incompleted project.  They killed the
Sasxsek article, but some Esperantist (apparently someone in
Brazil) that seems to like to write Wikis wrote one for
Vikipedio and it's been there ever since (I do go back and edit
it to keep the information accurate and current, but other than
that, the format and content are the same).