From: Carsten Becker <[log in to unmask]>

> Now that I have back my internet finally, I have a question
> for you: How would your conlang (or any natlang you know)
> express this sentence -- I am intersted in the sentence
> structure of course, not just the words themselves. Here is
> the sentence:
>
>   "It took five days longer than it should have taken."
>
> German does it this way:

>   Es hat fünf Tage länger gedauert als es hätte dauern  sollen.
>   It has five days longer endured  as  it had   endured should.

Not a native speaker, but why not:

...als es dauern sollen hätte.?

> French (TMBK):
>
>   Il a mis cinq jours plus long qu'il   ... [???]
>   It has put five days more long that-it ... [???]

plus longtemps?

From: Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

> Spanish (rusty, no guarantee...)
> Necesitaba 5 días más de lo que debía
> It-needed 5 days more than it ought

Necesitó?

Anyway, for a language I *can* opine on, Géarthnuns (depending on what "it" is):

Seth lé sek dalthsech palavethech íe, gü seth lé hereçkeveçö íe fkírekh sho, haubekh.

it-nom past-aux indef-art-pl. day-acc.-pl. five-acc.pl. more, that it-nom past-aux thus than ought sho, last

Grammatically, it ain't pretty, but I think it sounds nice, and terseness is not a Géarthnuns virtue.

Lao Kou