On 7/4/07, taliesin the storyteller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> * Mark J. Reed said on 2007-07-03 23:26:25 +0200
> > Letting you enter arbitrary Unicode symbols is not PuTTY's
> > job.  It just takes what the I/O system hands it.
>
> The machine it connects to is 100% UTF8, and vim-in-putty can't
> even show the UTF8-characters correctly but degrades to latin1.

That's odd.  Do you have

1) PuTTY configured to use UTF-8 as its character set
2) Your LC_ variables set to en_US.UTF-8 in the remote shell
3) a vim compiled with multibyte support
4) encoding set to utf-8 in vim

?

You do know of Ctrl-K? Ctrl-K <letter1> <letter2>, see :digraphs

Yup.  Digraphs are handy, and I have several custom ones defined in my
.vimrc, but I always find myself using some weird character I have no
digraph for. :)

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>