Jean-Franšois Colson skrev:
> Kjell Rehnstr÷m wrote:
>> Don G skrev:
>>> What's "kamos"?
>>>
>> The time when you cannot see the sun in Midwinter. In Kiruna, Sweden
>> it begins December 8 and ends on Januuary 1. Sunrise is on January 2
>> at 11.26.
>
> IIUC that's what I'd call "nuit polaire" (polar night) in French. How
> is it named in other languages? Are there languages (other than
> Finnish) which use a single word for that?
The Swedisih National Encyclopedia gives "polar night" (polarnatt). I
understand that as a geographical term. In strict meaning the word
applies to the conditions on the poles but is used also to describe the
period when the sun never rises. The only thing you have is dawn at
noon. The Finnish weekly Suomen Kuvalehti had a very fine feature about
that with photos. I saw it when I read the magasine in order to learn
Finnish. It was fantastic. I'd like to see this in real life, but that
hasn't happened yet :-(

Kjell R