From: Ben Haanstra <[log in to unmask]>

> > 1) Hij onderscheidde er zich herhaaldelijk en ook later, aan de
> > universiteit te
> > Cambridge, hebben weinigen meer eerbewijzen ontvangen dan hij.

> In this clause it says specifically that 'other people received less honors
> than he has earned'. The sentence sounds perfectly correct and goes in
> harmony with the rest of the sentence.

Others pointed this out as well. I can't *believe* I didn't see this (self-deprecating kick in the tokhes).

> > 2) Daarna aanvaarde hij een tijdelijke aanstelling bij het „Education
> >Department” en in 1872...

> I believe its written aanvaardde (correct spelling).

Typo. My bad.

> > Could you replace "aanvaarden" with "aannemen" here?

> Aannemen could replace aanvaarden, you can see aanvaarden as the poltie
> version of aannemen, however there are some exceptions. Aannemen can also
> mean "to assume', which aanvaarden can't.

"Assume" in the sense of "When you assume, you make an ASS of U and ME." as opposed to "He assumed a temporary position in the Ed. Dept."? (I assume so ;-) )

> > Daarna nam hij een tijdelijke aanstelling aan bij het „Education
> > Department"
> > AND/OR
> > Daarna nam hij een tijdelijke aanstelling bij het „Education Department"
> > aan

> Both sentences sound plausible and are being used, however there may be some
> extra's. It depends on the stress & focus.
> In 1st sentence the stress is 'assumed' to be at the "tijdelijke
> aanstelling" part, you can see it as if 'aan' was actually to finish off the
> sentence. "bij het Education Department" is then assumed to be 'extra non
> important information'.

Ah, this makes perfect sense.

> Hopefully this helped you.

Very much so. Thanks to you, Roger, Henrik, and GV for your help.

Kou