In the last episode, (On Tuesday 10 July 2007 16:56:41), Lars Finsen wrote:
> Den 9. jul. 2007 kl. 15.37 skrev Mark J. Reed:
> > I love the sound of the name Zaragoza [Ta4a'GoTa] myself.  I can
> > just repeat it over and over...
>
> Funny loves people have. What about the American Hispanics. What do
> they make of the z?
>
> > Still, <z> for /T/ is at least weirder than Lars's other example of
> > German.
> > My Deutsch is rusty, but doesn't <z> represent /ts/?   That seems
> > pretty normal to me.
>
> Well, the normal is /z/. Italians do it like the Germans, but have a
> voiced variant too. Another weird use is in some Scottish names, like
> Menzies, Dalziel, MacKenzie, where it replaces the former yogh.
>
> LEF

Hmm. "Mingus" is getting quite a lot of traction over here due to the
fame/infamy of the third party's leader, and "Dee-el and Pascoe" is the name
of a popular TV show, But I've always heard "MacKenzie" as "Mak'enzi:"

Jeff
--
"Please understand that there are small
European principalities devoted to debating

                            -- Cameron Laird