andrew wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, R A Brown wrote:
>
>>Philip Newton wrote:
[snip]

>>>I'm afraid they still don't ring a bell even after you pointed me
>>>to them explicitly. ("Anander" looks vaguely Greek for "Un-man",
>>>but I can't parse the rest.)
>>
>>Yep - the Latin form of a Greek Άνανδρος (Anandros - un-man, no-man).
>

> This makes sense as the narrator of Sir Thomas More's Utopia (one of my
> favourite classics) is Raphael Hythlodaeus.

Yep - my English translation renders Hythlodaeus as 'Hythloday'. There's
some argument over More's derivation of the -daeus part of the name, but
the first part is clearly from Greek _hythlos_ "idle talk, gossip."

> The name Anander does not
> appear in the book, but the river the Utopian capital is built on is
> the Anydrus,

Waterless

> and the title of the ruler of the people is the Ademus.

Person without a people.

also, of course, U-top-ia = "No place land"  :)

As for "Mefato" -
μὴ φάτω /me: pha:to:/ = let him not speak.

--
Ray