Douglas Koller wrote:
> From: R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>
[snip]
>>In fact since Sardinian (like Terkunan) did not share in the
>>palatalization which afflicted Vulgar Lain elsewhere,
>

> *afflicted*?! Chil', you harsh.

Did I really write that? Me miserum! I'd meant to write "affected." I
had also meant to write "Latin" and not "Lain"    ;)
-------------------------

Eric Christopherson wrote:
 > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Douglas Koller wrote:
 >
 >> From: R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>
 >>
 >>> Yet 'Celt', 'Celtic' etc. are invariably pronounced 'kelt', 'keltic'
 >>> etc., at least when referring to language or supposed ethnicity. (The
 >>> Glaswegian soccer team, however, is pronounced 'seltic'   :)
 >>

 >> Or a certain Boston basketball team. Woo, woo, woo ! (like I care
 >> about sports)
 >
 > Even when not discussing that team, <Celt> and <Celtic> are often
 > pronounced with /s/, in the US.

Sorry - should've known the 'Merkans would be different  :)

I should have written: "Yet 'Celt', 'Celtic' etc. are (almost always)
invariably pronounced 'kelt', 'keltic' etc. in Britain, at least when
referring to language or supposed ethnicity."

I add in parenthesis (almost always) to forestall the inevitable
exception. But in my 68+ years, I've never heard these words pronounced
other than with an initial /k/ in the environments I've given above.
Indeed, I have occasionally heard those ignorant of sport pronounce the
Glaswegian team 'Keltic' - they (almost?) always get corrected fairly
quickly!

--
Ray