2007/8/17, MacLeod Dave <[log in to unmask]>:
> [...] In addition, yesterday I was looking over some of the really obscure
> IALs, most of which have been deleted from the English and other
> natural Wikipedias, which meant I spent most of my time reading in
> Esperanto because that's the only language that had all the
> information I was looking for in one place.

Indeed, Dave!
And it's that kind of dedication to the promotion
to auxlangs that pays off in the end. If we want
to promote a language for use as an auxiliary
and it happens to be an auxlang like
esperanto then one can't ignore the fact
that it shares a history, that it is a development
through time, naturals languages have a pedigree
and a history. And any new interested person is
going to want to know about that, how the language
came along and from where (whom) and if they
find out about Nov Esperanto or Ido or one of
the many children they aren't treated as if they
hadn't existed. Esperanto is still here and it
survived the storms of time. That's something
to be said for the language, daft hats or no, it
is still beiing used by people to communicate
with one another, and that's good for an auxlang.

To show support for one's preferred auxlang by
adding to the editing of articles in Wikipedia is
a good thing because it promotes and prolongs
the usage of the language in the sght of others.
It shows that the language is alive. To only have
information about it in a few obscure and secretive
websites is making a mockery of the goals of any
auxlang. At any rate it seems clique'ish and even
cultic. So the more exposure an auxlang gets the
more it will grow. Like plants in the sun, let all the
little flowers grow. They add nicely to the garden.
eh?

With regards,
Jay B.

--