On 8/26/07, taliesin the storyteller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> * Philip Newton said on 2007-08-26 20:25:31 +0200
> > Incidentally, I've found that some programs which break long urls will
> > "preserve" them (in the sence that they're still broken over multiple
> > lines, but the entire thing is clickable rather than only the first
> > line) if the URL is embedded in angle brackets thus:
> > <http://www.example.com/> or
> > <http://www.example.net/test/ofa/a/very-long-url?that=has&various=parameter&to=test&what=happens&to=such&a=URL>
>
> This is, after all, how you're supposed to include an url in text ;)
>
> http://www.w3.org/Addressing/rfc1738.txt

Well, I'll be! Thanks for pointing that out; I never knew about that
bit. I suppose that's why that scheme works; I suppose the "just angle
brackets with the string 'URL:'" is a case of programs being a bit
more liberal in what they accept than the bare minimum.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>