On 8/27/07, Eldin Raigmore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 1% of the world's languages are OVS; if the "establish roles as early as
> possible" idea is correct, the object (rather than the subject) should be case-
> marked and the verb should agree with the subject (rather than with the
> object). Is that what happens in those languages?

I wonder whether Klingon is relevant, since it's a constructed
language rather than one that "just growed" (like Topsy). (Its verbs
agree with both subject and object, and there is no case-marking, at
least not for subjects or objects; things such as -vaD for beneficiary
are probably more similar to postpositions than case markers.)

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>