On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
> > > On the other hand, if the objective is to provide a rich CSS
> > > implementation that renders a document in such a way that all these
> > > elements are simultaneously visible and distinguishable, and yet the
> > > interface and our interaction with the document are simpler and more
> > > efficient than tag-editing, then great -- I'd love to see that.
>
> > and I think oXygen 9 is delivering it, no?
>
> It's delivering an environment which I think is good enough for us to find out
> if it's possible. It'll be up to us to put it to the test, by seeing if we can
> create some CSS that does the job.

Where "we" = "the TEI community", the best we can do is provide a
default CSS stylesheet that does reasonable things with the most
commonly used TEI elements and attributes, in the same way that
Sebastian's XSLT stylesheets render TEI Lite encoding. Clearly that CSS
will need to be extended and customized to meet the needs of individual
users and projects, or even for different stages within the same
project. For example, during stage 1 of editing one might very well want
to have everything within a <choice> element distinctively rendered,
whereas in stage 2 only one of the alternatives might be displayed,
without special rendering.

Luckily, writing CSS is a widespread skill (much more so than working
with XSLT or XSL-FO), so people using an XML editor that relies on CSS
for rendering shouldn't have much trouble adapting it to their needs.

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [log in to unmask]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973