Dear Colleagues:

We are pleased to announce the formation of a new professional
organization designed to support the scholarship and teaching of American
literature and culture using digital media.  The Digital Americanists was
formally brought to life at this year's American Literature Association in
Boston, and in the past couple of months we have established the necessary
frameworks to begin officially filling our membership rolls.

At our new wiki-based website, http://www.digitalamericanists.org, you
will find the constitution, an initial list of members, an initial list of
associated digital projects, a bibliography of resources, some sample
classroom syllabi and activities,  and information on how to become a
member along with a description of the privileges of membership.

After you've become a member and paid the modest $10 annual fee (which can
be done conveniently online), we invite you to help build the wiki by
adding information about yourself, your digital projects, your teaching,
and whatever else you feel would be of interest to this community.

Please join us in our efforts to create a vibrant organization that can
support this growing field of American literature scholarship.

Andrew Jewell, President
Edward Whitley, Vice-President
Amanda Gailey, Secretary/Treasurer