Hi there,

I'm just trying this out for the first time, using Ubuntu Gutsy and
Sun's JRE 1.6. It seems to work pretty well, and I'm really pleased to
see the level of detail in the CSS rendering (a <soCalled> tag showed up
with "scare quotes" around it automatically), and the GUI seems pretty
effective and responsive. I did manage to get into trouble a couple of
times -- trying to add a new paragraph, I ended up adding one outside
the <body> tag, which was invalid, and I had a little difficulty
escaping from an itemized list once I was in one, without ending up
outside the body.

There are some things which couldn't easily be handled in a WYSIWYG
manner. For instance, this structure:

<choice>
   <abbr>UN</abbr>
   <expan>United Nations</expan>
</choice>

shows up with both UN and United Nations visible, with tag start and end
symbols in the right places. That's probably what you want when editing,
but it's not WYSIWYG in the sense that it probably won't be what you
want in any kind of output.

I think this is an important development because it looks as though it's
close to being as good as WYSIWYG could be in this kind of context. That
means it will give us a sound basis to evaluate the proposition that
WYSIWYG editing is an effective method of editing the kinds of XML
documents we create. I don't believe it is, personally, but I know
several people who refuse to learn XML because they're waiting for
WYSIWYG editing, and others who believe that "average users" will be
much better served by a WYSIWYG editor than a conventional one.

I suspect that people coming to XML editing for the first time might
find this seductive, but that they'll get into trouble fairly quickly
(not bothering to distinguish between <emph>, <hi rend="italic"> or
<foreign>, because they "look the same"). Old hands, who generally know
exactly what they want to do and are just looking for the fastest way to
do it, will find this editor a bit frustrating because they won't
_quite_ be sure they got what they intended unless they flip back to the
text mode, and they'll end up using text mode again. But that's just my
guess -- now we'll be able to find out.

A question for George: what Java text field component are you using for
this? Is it written especially for oXygen?

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Holmes