Perhaps I'm not the right person to replay here as I'm more a MS
transcriber and editor rather than a cataloger, but my feeling is that a
repository is quite a fundamental element as the goal of the
msIdentifier is to identify, indeed, a MS and that can be done by
providing a widely recognized special name (msName) or by providing at
least the repository if not the idno.
But, of course, this is just my thought and catalogers will be of other
advises.

Elena