Dear Joachim,

For the letters we're encoding in the Digital Archive of Letters in
Flanders (DALF, which was designed to encode letters), there is an
<envelope> you can put all the data you might want to encode regarding
addresseses of sender and receiver, postmarks etc. (even when these data
are present but there is actually no real envelope)

Here is an example, but mind you: the DALF DTD is still in P4:

    <teiHeader>...</teiHeader>

    <text>

    <envelope>
        <envPart side="front">
        <address type="receiver">
        <addrLine>WelEdele Heer de Bom</addrLine>
        <addrLine>Letterkundige</addrLine>
        <addrLine>Olijftakstraat 10</addrLine>
        <addrLine>Antwerpen</addrLine>
        </address>
        <postmark>
        <placeName>Malines (station)</placeName>
        <date value="1890-02-21">21 FEVR 1890</date>
        <placeName>Anvers</placeName>
        <date value="1890-02-21">21 FEVR 1890</date>
          </postmark>
          </envPart>
    </envelope>

    <opener>
value="1890-02-21">21 Feb. 1890</date>.</dateline>
        <salute>WelEdele Heer,</salute>
    </opener>

    <closer>...</closer>

    </text>

Check out the DALF guidelines to get a better picture of how we're
encoding our letters: http://kantl.be/ctb/project/dalf/dalfdoc/index.html

Best wishes,
Bert Van Raemdonck

--
Bert Van Raemdonck
Wetenschappelijk medewerker

Centrum voor Teksteditie en Bronnenstudie - CTB (KANTL)
	Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
Koninklijke Academie voor Nederlandse Taal- en Letterkunde
	Royal Academy of Dutch Language and Literature
Koningstraat 18 / 9000 Gent / Belgium
tel: (+32) (0)9 265 93 50 / fax: (+32) (0)9 265 93 49

http://www.kantl.be/ctb/
http://www.kantl.be/ctb/staff/bert.htm