An alternative notation of the content model could be written like this:

msIdentifier := block1, block2
block1 := sequence|msname
block2 := altIdentifier|msName*
sequence := placeName? , bloc? , country? , region? , district?,
settlement? , offset? , geogFeat? , institution? , repository ,
collection? , idno?

If you start with <institution>, you use the "sequence" from block1
which also includes <idno>. This completes block1, so you must not use
the alternative <msName> here. block2 consists of <msName> in your
case, which is allowed to appear once or more times (unless you use
<altIdentifier> instead). To me, my suggestion ought to be valid. I
wonder if the validator is confused by the fact that <msName> must not
appear in block1 if you use sequence instead, but does appear as part
of block2 in the very same position.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")